Friday, May 18, 2012

15May12
Drove down to Camp Faria for an overnight stay. Derek was there when I arrived and we spent the day making stuff in the woods, I made a Australian Cooking Crane for the camps community fire pit. Sorry no pic. Joe arrived and we started doing finish work on the cabin. They tried cutting up a tree that was blown over this past winter by heavy winds, and they cut the chain saw stuck. Some wedges later they got the saw out but it needed to be fixed now, the draw cord busted. Some birds, not yet I.D.ed, made a nest in the rafters of the cabin, with two baby birds in there. We tried to stay out of the cabin as to not interfere with the parents feeding the baby's, but the rain made it tough to stay out. While the rain helded off we sat around the fire for a break. I cooked some steaks for a late lunch. We sat and bullcrapped for a while and got caught up on each others lives.
A few hours later Joe's awesome wife Tina arrived with a traditional Portuguese soup with rolls. We threw it on the crane to heat up. I forget what it was called but it was some spicy soup. Me, being Irish, I'm not use to spicy food like that. It had elbow pasta, onions, herbs, potatoes, and 3 different types of big sausages in there, one being more spicy than the next. But it was still good. Even better coming out ha ha.  The rain started heavy again and forced us to retreat into the cabin. Momma and papa bird didn't like that and verbally protested outside the cabin door the rest of the night while we got to listen to baby's cry until about 8 o'clock at night. Joe and I decided to take a drive into town and grab some tasty beverages to help pass the rainy night. I broke my 3 week record of not smoking and bought a pack of smokes for the night.
We got back to  the cabin and had a great time, telling stories and joking. At around midnight we had seconds of the soup. When it was finally time to retire I ran to my hammock in the rain, and said to myself "I think I'll smooth it a bit and hang this sucker in the cabin". I unclipped the two caribiners on the tree and rolled up the hammock and ran back in the cabin, leaving the tarp behind hanging. As I'm setting up the hammock, Joe sees me and says "hey thats a good idea, I think I'll do the same thing" and he claimed the other corner of the cabin leaving Derek to sleep on the dirt.
I must have been pretty tired because Joe's notorious snoring didn't wake me up once during the night.
Stay turned for Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment